AHFTU Transgender Community Support

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the AHFTU transgender community support forum. All are welcome. The forum is to help and educate anyone from or for the LGBTQ community. Friends, family, and well wishers are welcome to join in.

If for any reason you have difficulty registering, you can contact me at longhaired_rocker1982@hotmail.com and I will help you as best I can.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice Feminization  (Read 1378 times)

freckles

Voice Feminization
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »

So, I thought I would share some info. 

I had voice feminization surgery (VFS) in Rochester NY with MIchael Haben in May of last year (http://professionalvoice.org/feminization.aspx).  The surgery went well, but being a former smoker of 17 years, and someone over ...uh, cough!...40, my cords were hoarse to begin with.  I had the laryngoplasty (glottoplasty), cricothyroid approximation (CTA), and chondroplasty (commonly known as tracheal shave).  I did not need the chondroplasty (no adam's apple), but it happens as part of the CTA, so...w/e. lol  That cost $7k (no insurance coverage for that).

My average pitch went from 115Hz to 200Hz (for reference: http://www.nyspeechandvoicelab.net/transgender/voice-feminization/).  But, after shortening my cords, a gap was ever present so I had a very hoarse sounding voice with little volume.  So, after waiting almost a year I had prolaryn gel injected by my otolaryngologi st in March (which my insurance paid for) and it worked great!  Pitch was 220Hz, and I had volume!  The sad thing is, it only lasted 4 days and the gel was either absorbed or migrated. :(  So, two weeks ago I had prolaryn plus injected (a longer lasting implant-ish type of injection) and my voice is so much improved.  I do not get misgendered on the phone, at the drive thru, or in person.  I rarely am misgendered in person anyway, but I do not get head turns when I open my mouth anymore.

Any question or comments are welcome!

Also, please know that I had voice therapy with a speech language pathologist for over a year before surgery, and continue to do so now once per week after the surgery.
Voice surgery will not help with:
Prosody
Intonation
Resonance (frontal Focus)
Articulation
Word Choices
Body Language

Speech or voice therapy will teach you all of those. :)

Jennifer

• Administrator
  • Asteroid
    • Allied Humanity For Transgender Unity
Re: Voice Feminization
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

I found a vocal pathologist here in Columbia. The initial consult is $150, but the sessions after that are only $50. So I'm going to be feminizing my voice as much as possible. After that if needed, I'll start thinking about vocal work. I personally, would prefer FFS first.
LGBTQ = Love, Generosity, Bravery, Trust, Quality

freckles

Re: Voice Feminization
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

Dr. Haben requires a few months of speech therapy before he does the VFS.
I used the University of Missouri speech therapy services, and then when the woman I was working with left and opened her own place, I moved there with here.  $70 a session and my UHC covers it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up