Author Topic: Voice Feminization  (Read 1196 times)

freckles

Voice Feminization
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »
So, I thought I would share some info. 

I had voice feminization surgery (VFS) in Rochester NY with MIchael Haben in May of last year (http://professionalvoice.org/feminization.aspx).  The surgery went well, but being a former smoker of 17 years, and someone over ...uh, cough!...40, my cords were hoarse to begin with.  I had the laryngoplasty (glottoplasty), cricothyroid approximation (CTA), and chondroplasty (commonly known as tracheal shave).  I did not need the chondroplasty (no adam's apple), but it happens as part of the CTA, so...w/e. lol  That cost $7k (no insurance coverage for that).

My average pitch went from 115Hz to 200Hz (for reference: http://www.nyspeechandvoicelab.net/transgender/voice-feminization/).  But, after shortening my cords, a gap was ever present so I had a very hoarse sounding voice with little volume.  So, after waiting almost a year I had prolaryn gel injected by my otolaryngologi st in March (which my insurance paid for) and it worked great!  Pitch was 220Hz, and I had volume!  The sad thing is, it only lasted 4 days and the gel was either absorbed or migrated. :(  So, two weeks ago I had prolaryn plus injected (a longer lasting implant-ish type of injection) and my voice is so much improved.  I do not get misgendered on the phone, at the drive thru, or in person.  I rarely am misgendered in person anyway, but I do not get head turns when I open my mouth anymore.

Any question or comments are welcome!

Also, please know that I had voice therapy with a speech language pathologist for over a year before surgery, and continue to do so now once per week after the surgery.
Voice surgery will not help with:
Prosody
Intonation
Resonance (frontal Focus)
Articulation
Word Choices
Body Language

Speech or voice therapy will teach you all of those. :)

Offline Jennifer

• Administrator
    • Allied Humanity For Transgender Unity
Re: Voice Feminization
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
I found a vocal pathologist here in Columbia. The initial consult is $150, but the sessions after that are only $50. So I'm going to be feminizing my voice as much as possible. After that if needed, I'll start thinking about vocal work. I personally, would prefer FFS first.
LGBTQ = Love, Generosity, Bravery, Trust, Quality

freckles

Re: Voice Feminization
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
Dr. Haben requires a few months of speech therapy before he does the VFS.
I used the University of Missouri speech therapy services, and then when the woman I was working with left and opened her own place, I moved there with here.  $70 a session and my UHC covers it.